Log Schoolhouse III: King and Queen Opens Log Schoolhouse (October 2004)

On Sunday, October 25th, the King and Queen County opened its Eastern View Log Schoolhouse in a Grand Opening Ceremony at the King and Queen Courthouse. The Eastern View Schoolhouse was originally constructed and located at Eastern View Farm, near Owenton, King and Queen County, Virginia. It was constructed about 1870, used first as a private and then a public school until about 1903, and was the last remaining log schoolhouse in King and Queen County. Donated by Marian Minor, owner of Eastern View Farm, it was moved to the present site behind the King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum and rehabilitated by community volunteers in 2004.

Dr. Richard W. Layman was the keynote speaker. He compared education in Virginia in the late 1800s and today and gave specific examples of what the county supplied at the time of the early log schoolhouse, including a bucket, a dipper and a broom. He noted the many changes and the many services now provided in schools, not only expanded education, but also meals and transportation. He explained the progress that had been made over the last two years and offered everyone the opportunity to visit the schools at any time.

Jack Spain, Museum Council Chairman, recognized and presented certificates to the Supporting Sponsors who had provided substantial financial and services to the project: Elis Olsson Memorial Foundation, West Point, Va.; Marian Minor, Richmond, Va.; Wood Preservers, Inc., Warsaw, Va.; Perma-Chink Systems, Inc., Knoxville, Tenn.; Anne and Scott Nickerson Family Foundation, Big Horn, Wyoming; Norman Company, Mechanicsville, Va.; Valley Crane and Rigging, Mechanicsville, Va.; and Essex Concrete Corp., Tappahannock, Va. Recognition was also made to the Principal Volunteers: Bobby Barlow, Brent Bosher, Carl Bosher, James Croxton, Jacob Dabney, Roy Downs, Larry Grahl, William Gwathmey, John Jones, Marian Minor, Roger Poteat, Samuel Prince, John Rich, Jack Spain, John Spain, Howard Walker, Sheriff Bobby Walton, and members of the Bent-Barrel Hunt Club. Special commendation was awarded to Mrs. Betty Gwathmey for organizing the ladies of the King and Queen Historical Society to provide lunches each work day and to E.B. (Brownie) Bevan for his careful supervision of the entire project. Spain noted it was truly a community endeavor to make this project happen.