Recent News

Tales from the Tavern - Fall 2012

Annual Report for 2011

This issue contains an overview of the many activities and accomplishments of the Tavern Museum that occurred in 2011.

Download the Full pdf

Tales from the Tavern - Summer 2012

TWO NEW EXHIBITS OPEN

Bottle Collection Dating from 1650 to 1976

The renowned Ivor Noel Hume Bottle Collection exhibit opened on March 25th. Respected archaeologist and writer Ivor Noel Hume, retired “antiquarian” from Colonial Williamsburg, assembled a personal collection of some sixty bottles.

Colonial King & Queen County Sundial from 1715

The exhibit featuring the sundial given to the Upper Church of St. Stephens Parish in King and Queen County in 1715 by Col James Taylor of King and Queen opened on May 12th.

King & Queen County Residents Contribute to Sesquicentennial Legacy Project

Sally & Howard Walker provided a picture of Howard’s Grandfather, William Humphrey Walker (1845-1917) in his CSA uniform. He was a private in the 26th Virginia Infantry, Co K, from King and Queen County. He was with his older brother Benjamin Walker when Benjamin, a 3rd Lt. in the same unit was killed in 1864 by a sniper after writing a letter home.

County Makes Repairs on Museum Building

County Employee, John Thorpe, has done yeoman work recently at the Museum. Exterior building boards are being painted with boards being replaced where needed.

Museum Honors James C. Kelly

The King and Queen County Historical Society’s Museum Council honored James C. Kelly, former Director of Museums at the Virginia Historical Society and now Chief of Museums for the U.S. Army at a luncheon on April 21st at Bewdley Farm in King and Queen County.

Download the Full pdf

Pages:123456789