December 1, 2012 in Permanent

Log Schoolhouse

The Eastern View Schoolhouse was originally constructed and located at Eastern View Farm, near Owenton, King and Queen County, Virginia. It was constructed about 1870, used first as a private and then a public school until about 1903, and was the last remaining log schoolhouse in King and Queen County. Donated by Marian Minor, owner of Eastern View Farm, it was moved to the present site behind the King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum and rehabilitated by community volunteers in 2004. It is furnished as an late 19th-century log schoolhouse. Adjacent to the Log Schoolhouse is the bell from the old Marriott School, located near St. Stephens Church, that burned in the late 1930s and was rebuilt shortly thereafter without the need of a bell.