Founded in 1953, the King and Queen County Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization formed to promote the interests of King and Queen County and its history through:
- Collecting and Processing Manuscripts and other Materials Pertaining to the History of King and Queen County, Virginia.
- Promoting the Writing of the History of the County.
- Preserving, Restoring, and/or Marking Historic Sites, and
- Sponsoring and Presenting Exhibits and Programs of Educational and Historical Interest for the Welfare of all of the People of the County.
- Restoration of the Fary Tavern Building and creation of the Courthouse Tavern Museum.
- Reconstructing the Eastern View log schoolhouse on the Museum grounds.
- Constructing the carriage house on the Museum grounds to display a buggy and the old Stevensville Post Office facade.
- Landscaping of the Courthouse Tavern Museum grounds.
- Restoration and re-hanging of the Courthouse Portraits.
- Establishment of the King and Queen Courthouse Green Historic District.
- Placement of new Virginia Historical Highway Markers.
- Publication of Old Houses of King and Queen County by Virginia D. Cox and Willie T. Weathers, 1973.
- Publication of Land and Heritage in the Virginia Tidewater: a History of King and Queen County by Barbara Beigun Kaplan, 1993.
- Reprinting of A Patchwork Quilt: Lifestyle in King and Queen County, Virginia, 1910-1920 by Louise Eubank Gray.
- Installation of a computer system for archives and membership management.
- Excavation of the colonial Donald Robertson School site.
- Writing and publication of King and Queen County history.
- Creating an Video History of King and Queen through video interviews.
- Operation and continued development of the Courthouse Tavern Museum.